Exchange Student - Application Information


CityU has exchange links with more than 330 partners worldwide. Last year, we welcomed more than 800 overseas students to CityU for exchange study.

The University welcomes applications from exchange students. Before you apply, please check with your home institution to see whether CityU is one of its exchange partners.

Application Procedures and Application Periods

Prospective exchange students are first selected by their home institutions prior to the approval of their exchange study by the relevant academic departments of CityU. Successful applicants will have to:

  • meet the minimum academic requirements of CityU and be in good academic standing with their home institution
  • achieve a TOEFL score  79 (on the Internet-based test), IELTS overall band score 6.5, or Chinese Mainland's College English Test at Band 6 (total score 450) or hold an equivalent English qualification if English is not the medium of instruction at their home institution.

Students wishing to apply for exchange study at CityU should:

  1. Check with your home institution to confirm whether CityU is one of its exchange partners.
  2. Consult with your academic advisor/exchange coordinator concerning the suitability of the proposed programme of exchange study and the related application procedures. Participation approval is at the discretion of the student's home institution. Direct application from students will not be considered.
  3. For institutional level exchange programmes, applications should be submitted via the online system. For college/departmental exchange programmes, applications should be sent directly to the respective academic units of CityU. Online applications may be available for some academic units. Please check the application method with the exchange coordinator of your home institution before submitting your application.

Online Application Periods

Institutional level exchange programmes Online Application Period
Summer Term, 2015 (June - August 2015) 15 January - 15 February 2015
Semester A, 2015/16 (September - December 2015) 1 April - 15 May 2015
Semester B, 2015/16 (January - May 2016) 1 September - 15 October 2015

Colleges/Departmental exchange programmes may have their own application procedures and deadlines.

After applying

Successful applicants will receive a letter of acceptance listing the courses approved for their exchange study at CityU.

Course Information and Class Schedule

  • The course codes starting with 1, 2, 3 or 4 (e.g., GE 1111, CS2114, AIS2012, MA4152) are undergraduate courses.
  • List of undergraduate courses which accept applications from exchange students: [Course list for Semester A, 2015/16 will be available on 1 Apr 2015 (tentative)]
  • Please click here for the class schedule for the courses offered in 2014/15 academic year.

CityU Academic Calendar

Academic Calendar, 2014/15


If you are to be affiliated with the College of Science and Engineering (CSE) and plan to take nine or more credits of courses offered by the College, you may apply for a CSE exchange scholarship. This scholarship is competitive and awarded on a merit basis, and is subject to funding availability. Interested applicants should submit a separate application to the CSE at CityU.

Immigration and Visa Requirements

You will need to obtain a student visa to study at CityU unless you have the right of abode or the right to land in Hong Kong. For details, please refer to the website of the Global Services Office (formerly Mainland and External Affairs Office) (Click on ‘Incoming Exchange Students' -> 'Visa').

It normally takes six weeks or longer to process a student visa application. You are advised to apply well in advance to ensure that your visa is issued before the start of your exchange study.

We will assist you in any way appropriate to facilitate your visa application. Please contact the Global Services Office (formerly Mainland and External Affairs Office) (email: for assistance about your visa application.

Please note that a visa/entry permit to enter the HKSAR for study may not be granted to nationals of Afghanistan, Cambodia, Cuba, Laos, Democratic People's Republic of Korea, Nepal and Vietnam, at the discretion of the Hong Kong Immigration Department.

Please note that exchange students are required to take a minimum of 12 credit units of CityU courses for Semester A or B, or a minimum of 6-7 credit units for the Summer Term, and enrol as a full-time student, to meet the requirement of the Hong Kong Immigration Department for visa issuance.


You must enrol as a 'not-for-degree' full-time student of the University before you may attend classes. Upon completion of the required enrolment procedures, you will be issued a student identity card. You should carry this CityU identification document with you at all times, as it allows you access to various University premises and facilities. It is an important document and should not be used by anyone else. If the card is lost, you will need to pay a fee to obtain a replacement from the Service Centre of the Academic Regulations and Records Office (ARRO).

Life at CityU

CityU provides a campus environment and a range of programmes designed to enhance students' physical and mental health. Visit the Student Development Services website to find out more.


As an exchange student, you may apply for on-campus student residence.  Applications should be made online when you apply for your exchange studies.  Please note that there is no guarantee of accommodation in the student residence because of limited capacity. Exchange students should be prepared to arrange their own off-campus accommodation, if necessary.

Estimated Cost of Living in Hong Kong

Information on Expenses

CityU waives the tuition fee for exchange students, but they are required to pay all of the tuition and study-related fees levied by their home institutions. Exchange students are also responsible for financing their travel, accommodation and other living expenses, visa, insurance, books and other study-related expenses.

Estimated Living Expenses (HK$)

On-Campus Accommodation

For undergraduate halls, the residence fees vary according to the room type. The residence fees are subject to annual review. Please refer to the website of Student Residence Office for details.

Cost of Living

Living costs will vary depending on individual lifestyle expectations. A basic student budget is estimated to be HKD4,500 (per month) including meals, transport, laundry, and education expenses for books and stationery.

Health and Insurance

There is a health centre on-campus that provides primary medical care to staff and students. As an exchange student, you are eligible to use the Centre’s services at a charge. However, as medical expenses can be quite high in Hong Kong, exchange students are required, following CityU policies, to have a medical and travel insurance coverage during their stay at the University. Please visit for details.


The University provides a wide range of services and amenities to ensure that students enjoy a rich campus life in a supportive environment. To help you to settle into your new environment and to adapt to the new culture, the Global Services Office (GSO) (formerly Mainland and External Affairs Office) organises an orientation programme specifically designed for exchange students. This programme usually takes place one week before the semester begins, and you are strongly encouraged to participate. The GSO will announce the exact schedule for the exchange student orientation programme on its website ( about three weeks before the start of the semester.

Getting to CityU

Mass Transit Railway (MTR)
If you are coming to CityU by MTR from the direction of Central, get off at Kowloon Tong station and follow the signs to City University (Exit C). Exit C2 will lead you to the Festival Walk Shopping Centre. Go up to Level LG1 and find the escalator next to Shop LG1-10, which will take you to an underpass to CityU. When you emerge from this underpass, CityU’s main entrance is right in front of you. If you are coming from the direction of Lo Wu, cross the bridge that takes you to the Festival Walk Shopping Centre. The escalator facing you when you enter the Festival Walk Shopping Centre leads to the aforementioned underpass to CityU.

By Taxi
Ask the taxi driver to take you to the City University of Hong Kong, Tat Chee Avenue, Kowloon Tong, Kowloon and to drop you off at the University Circle. When you get out of the taxi, you will be in front of the Academic Building and the Cheng Yick-chi Building.

By Car
If you are arriving by car, then it would be best to contact the department that has arranged your visit to see whether it can help you with parking arrangements.

From the Airport
The easiest way to get to CityU from the Hong Kong International Airport is by taxi. The fare will be about HK$350. Alternatively, you can take the Airport Express and then the MTR for HK$67.50 [The extra $7.50 is for the MTR from Tsing Yi to Kowloon Tong – the $60 is for the Airport Express]. Ask for instructions at the information counter on the arrivals level. For general information about Hong Kong, please visit the Hong Kong Tourism Board.


Frequently Asked Questions: FAQ

Useful Links