BA Chinese and History


Year of Entry 2018
Mode of Funding Government funded
Admission Code 1103
BA Chinese and History
Mode of Study Full time
Indicative Intake Target
Direct Application Places (Local Students) :

3 (Combined figure for programmes 1103 and 1357A)

Non-Local Students Places : Please click here for details.
Normal Duration of Programme 4 years
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/cah.cityu
Tuition Fee Click here for more information
Direct/Non-JUPAS Application Deadline
4 Jan 2018 (Local & Non-local)
Remark: For JUPAS applicants, the programme code is JS1103



Department of Chinese and History

Founded in 2014 with a view to establishing excellent tertiary education, world-class research and an international reputation in Hong Kong, the Department of Chinese and History offers the major in Chinese and History with three streams – Chinese, Cultural Heritage and History. It aims to equip students with advanced and professional knowledge and a wide range of analytical and writing skills.

The Chinese stream strives to provide students with solid and comprehensive training in Chinese language and literature, and a good knowledge of the evolution and appreciation of the Chinese language and literature from its past to its present.

The Cultural Heritage stream provides the professional training necessary to nurture the high-calibre cultural professionals required to meet the growing manpower needs resulting from Hong Kong’s rapidly expanding management capacity in culture- and heritage-related industries, including cultural tourism, museum management, exhibition industries, commercial galleries, libraries and archives, community heritage programmes, publishing, entertainment and arts-related professions, cultural and creative industries.

The History stream examines the cause-and-effect relationships in human affairs and addresses the complexity of the past in shaping contemporary society. Although Chinese history is the primary focus of this stream, students may also choose to take courses related to world history and public history that provide comprehensive and in-depth historical knowledge.

Students who choose to major in Chinese and History will enjoy the significant advantages of integrating the three streams and our interdisciplinary emphasis, and may go on to pursue a wide range of careers after graduation.

課程重視基礎知識及實用技巧的訓練。學生修畢第一年指定科目後,可按興趣與能力在第二年選讀一個專修:「中文」、「文化遺產」或「歷史」。各專修所涵蓋的課題廣泛,旨在拓展學生的跨文化視野,加強其批判思考及獨立研究的能力。「中文」專修透過分析文學、思想與語言的演變,深化學生對中國語文及社會文化的認識;「文化遺產」專修教授有關文化理論、文物保護、博物館研究的知識;「歷史」專修強調經世致用,並著重對史料的掌握與應用。


Admission Arrangements for Direct/Non-JUPAS Applicants

Applicants to this programme (admission code: 1103) will be considered for admission to first-year studies at the Department of Chinese and History. Students will enter a stream (current stream options: Chinese, Cultural Heritage and History) after one year of study. The top 40% of students# will have a free choice of majors offered by the Department. The other 60% of students will be allocated a stream within the Department, subject to the availability of places and the selection criteria set by individual streams.

# based on CGPA with no failed grades and completion of at least 30 credit units including College/Department required courses

Applicants seeking advanced standing entry can submit an application for the following programme:

  • BA Chinese and History (admission code: 1357A)

Click here for the qualifications eligible for advanced standing entry.


Entrance Requirements for Direct/Non-JUPAS Applicants

To be considered for admission, you must satisfy the General Entrance Requirements.


First-Year Curriculum

During their first year of study, students will have to take a wide range of College-required courses, Gateway Education (GE) courses, and two Common Foundation Courses under the major. They could also take courses in the streams so as to have a basic understanding of each discipline.   

To find more details about the Programme Curriculum, please refer to the Programme Structure


Student Exchange/Internship

For details on Student Exchange Programme, please click here

For details on Professional Internship Programme, please click here



General Enquiries

Phone:

+(852) 3442-2054

Fax:

+(852) 3442-0508

Email:

cah@cityu.edu.hk

Address:

R6120, 6/F, Amenities Building
City University of Hong Kong
Tat Chee Avenue
Kowloon, Hong Kong SAR
Map