Department of Media and Communication (options: BA Digital Television and Broadcasting, BA Media and Communication)


Year of Entry 2018
Mode of Funding Government funded
Admission Code 1106
Department of Media and Communication (options: BA Digital Television and Broadcasting, BA Media and Communication)
Mode of Study Full time
Indicative Intake Target
Direct Application Places (Local Students) :

10 for the Department of Media and Communication

Non-Local Students Places : Please click here for details.
Normal Duration of Programme 4 years
Tuition Fee Click here for more information
Direct/Non-JUPAS Application Deadline
4 Jan 2018 (Local & Non-local)
Remark: For JUPAS applicants, the programme code is JS1106



Department of Media and Communication

Housed in the landmark Run Run Shaw Creative Media Centre, the Department of Media and Communication offers innovative academic programmes that emphasise media convergence. Unlike traditional curricula that segregate different modes of mass communication, we aim to train professional communicators capable of working in an environment of media convergence and information integration – an environment that spans journalism, broadcasting and TV, advertising, public relations and new media. To that end, we emphasise the integral infusion of new technologies, media skills, communication theories and creativity in our education.
The Department’s teaching and research activities are supported by a state-of-the-art integrated and inter-compatible digital multimedia platform. It has invested more than $30 million into infrastructural facilities ranging from digital TV shooting/editing studios, 3-D Virtual TV/audio recording and advertising shooting/design studios, new media and eye-tracking labs.
Undergraduate students have many opportunities to travel abroad on study trips, student exchanges and overseas internships. Graduates also have a successful record of rapid employment after graduation, entering a wide range of professions and career paths including media industries, telecommunications, advertising, business and education.
The Department offers the following majors:

  • BA Digital Television and Broadcasting
  • BA Media and Communication

Admission Arrangements for Direct/Non-JUPAS Applicants

Applicants to this programme (admission code: 1106) will be considered for admission to first-year studies at the Department of Media and CommunicationStudents will enter a major (current major options: Media and Communication; Digital Television and Broadcasting) after one year of study. The top 40% of students# will have a free choice of majors offered by of the Department. The other 60% of students will be allocated a major within the Department, subject to the availability of places and the selection criteria set by individual majors.

# based on CGPA with no failed grades and completion of at least 30 credit units including College/Department required courses

Applicants seeking advanced standing entry can submit an application for the following programmes:

  • BA Media and Communication (admission code: 1341A)
  • BA Digital Television and Broadcasting (admission code: 1356A)

Click here for the qualifications eligible for advanced standing entry.  


Entrance Requirements for Direct/Non-JUPAS Applicants

To be considered for admission, you must satisfy the General Entrance Requirements.


First-Year Curriculum

Normative Four-Year Students (first-year, undeclared major)

Semester A (Total number of credit units: 15)

Course Code and Title

Credit Units

University requirement (6 credits)

 

GE1401  University English 1

3

GE1501  Chinese Civilisation - History and Philosophy

3

College requirement (3 credits)

 

One College Foundation course 2

3

Gateway Education (6 credits)

 

One GE course

3

One College-specified course 3

3

Semester B (Total number of credit units: 15)

Course Code and Title

Credit Units

University requirement (3 credits)

 

One Discipline-specific Engish

3

College requirement (3 credits)

 

One College Foundation course 2

3

Gateway Education (9 credits)

 

Two GE courses

6

One College-specified course 3

3

 

Note 1 Students whose entry qualification in English falls below Level 4 in HKDSE English Language OR Grade D in HKALE AS-level Use of English are required to complete the 6-credit EL0200 English for Academic Purposes course prior to taking the above GE English courses.
Note 2 Student should complete both of the College foundation courses from the liberal arts group and the social science group in their first year of study as indicated in the above study plan. Students should not take the foundation course of their home department for fulfilment of the College Requirement.
Note  Students are strongly advised to take two College-specified courses as indicated in the above study plan. 


Major Option(s) Currently Available (The University reserves the right to make changes to the major offerings.)