Department of Mechanical Engineering (options: BEng Biomedical Engineering, BEng Mechanical Engineering, BEng Nuclear and Risk Engineering)

Year of Entry 2018
Mode of Funding Government funded
Admission Code 1207
Department of Mechanical Engineering (options: BEng Biomedical Engineering, BEng Mechanical Engineering, BEng Nuclear and Risk Engineering)
Mode of Study Full time
Indicative Intake Target
Direct Application Places (Local Students) :

24 (Combined figure for programmes 1207, 1693A, 1696A and 1700A)

Non-Local Students Places : Please click here for details.
Normal Duration of Programme 4 years
Programme Website Click here to open
Tuition Fee Click here for more information
Admissions Tutor
Dr Patrick P L WONG
Deputy Admissions Tutor
Dr Chung TIN
Remark: For JUPAS applicants, the programme code is JS1207

Department of Mechanical Engineering

The Department of Mechanical Engineering (MNE) aims to provide world-class education and to conduct research in emerging fields of engineering. To meet these aims, the Department adopts an interdisciplinary approach and includes subject areas that ensure our graduates are equipped to meet Hong Kong's current and future needs.

The Department currently offers majors in Mechanical Engineering, Manufacturing Systems Engineering*, Mechatronic Engineering*; two inter-disciplinary majors in Biomedical Engineering and Nuclear and Risk Engineering; and Total Quality Engineering*, which is co-hosted with the Department of Systems Engineering and Engineering Management.

Please refer to the Department's website for more information about the MNE Department.

* phasing-out majors with the last cohort of 4-year degree students admitted in 2015


1. 生物醫學工程:課程旨在培養出可綜合工程技術與生命科學從而促進人類健康的卓越人才。畢業生能夠應用跨學科知識服務於多個領域,如醫療器械,醫學診斷與治療技術,醫藥開發,公共健康,食物安全,生物安全測量,以及各類與生物醫學工程技術有關的行業。

2. 機械工程: 課程旨在提供一個集教育、創新科技與研究的全面課程。畢業生能夠應用機械工程知識作出專業剖析和判斷,應用於廣泛領域如材料開發、系統分析、自動化工程和微納米科技等。

3. 核子及風險工程: 課程旨在為核子和風險工程領域培養出具備多門學科知識的卓越人才,包括低碳發電、醫療和風險工程。畢業生可從事核電行業、材料工程、核醫學、輻射防護、環境保護、核放射設備、金融業風險評估和災害管理等相關專業工作。

Admission Arrangements for Direct/Non-JUPAS Applicants

Applicants to this programme (admission code: 1207) will be considered for admission to first-year studies at the Department of Mechanical Engineering. Students will enter a major (current major options: Biomedical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Nuclear and Risk Engineering) after one year of study. The top 40% of students# will have a free choice of majors offered by the Department. The other 60% of students will be allocated a major within the Department, subject to the availability of places and the selection criteria set by individual majors.

# based on CGPA with no failed grades and completion of at least 30 credit units including College/Department required courses

Applicants seeking advanced standing entry can submit an application for the following programmes:

  • BEng Biomedical Engineering (admission code: 1693A)
  • BEng Mechanical Engineering (admission code: 1696A)
  • BEng Nuclear and Risk Engineering (admission code: 1700A)

Click here for the qualifications eligible for advanced standing entry.

Entrance Requirements for Direct/Non-JUPAS Applicants

To be considered for admission, you must satisfy the General Entrance Requirements. Applicants are also expected to have a science or engineering background.

Local applicants with HKDSE English Language below Level 3 are required to have a minimum TOEFL score of 550 (paper-based test) or 79 (Internet-based test), IELTS overall band score of 6.5, or equivalent.


Subject Area

Course Code

Course Title

Credit Units

Gateway Education (15 credit units)


GE1401 & GE2410

EL0200A and/or EL0200B

(a) University English &
Discipline Specific English
- English for Engineering

OR English for Academic Purposes 1 and/or English for Academic Purposes 2
(depending on students' language background)



(b) Gateway Education courses


College-specified Courses (9 credit units)


MA1200 / MA1300

Calculus and Basic Linear Algebra I /
Enhanced Calculus and Linear Algebra I


MA1201 / MA1301

Calculus and Basic Linear Algebra II /
Enhanced Calculus and Linear Algebra II



CS1102 / CS1302

Introduction to Computer Studies /
Introduction to Computer Programming^


College Requirement (6 credit units)

Choose two from the following three subject areas (6 credit units)*:



General Physics I








Discovery in Biology





^ Subject to sufficient enrollments.

* Students are advised to take PHY1201 in the first year as a prerequisite for core courses to be taken in Year 2. Students who intend to choose the Biomedical Engineering major are advised to take BCH1200 in the first year which is a prerequisite for a core course scheduled in Year 2 Semester A.

Remark: The above First-Year Curriculum is only applicable for students admitted into the four-year programme (1207).

Major Option(s) Currently Available (The University reserves the right to make changes to the major offerings.)