|Year of Entry||2018|
|Mode of Funding||Government funded|
Department of Applied Social Sciences (options: BSocSc Criminology and Sociology, BSocSc Psychology, BSocSc Social Work)
|Mode of Study||Full time|
|Indicative Intake Target||
JUPAS and non-JUPAS government-funded places : 116
|Normal Duration of Programme||4 years|
|Tuition Fee||Click here for more information|
JUPAS applicants will be considered for admission to first-year studies at the Department of Applied Social Sciences. Students will enter a major (current major options: Criminology and Sociology; Psychology; Social Work) after one year of study. The top 40% of students# will have a free choice of majors offered by the Department. The other 60% of students will be allocated a major within the Department, subject to the availability of places and the selection criteria set by individual majors.
# based on CGPA with no failed grades and completion of at least 30 credit units including College/Department required courses
To be considered for admission, you must satisfy the minimum entrance requirements.
The new four-year curriculum allows students to gain in-depth knowledge through major studies, and diversify students’ learning through GE courses, electives and optional minors. Here in SS, we have Departmental requirements in the first year of the curriculum, which exposes students to the three major disciplines prior to major declaration, giving students the opportunity to make a more informed decision on their choice of major. As well as the three courses which make up the departmental requirements, SS also offers students the opportunity to get involved in non-credit bearing course, which help students with the adjustment to university life.
BSocSc Social Work
This major is designed for young adults wishing to pursue a career in social work, a helping profession that promotes human and community well-being, underpinned by a commitment to uphold human dignity, social justice and social changes. The programme produces social work practitioners who are competent, reflective, and ethical in professional practice.
|Start Your Career Here||
Upon graduation, you will have the competence to practise as a professionally qualified social worker in a variety of settings through which human services are delivered (e.g. social services agencies, schools and health care institutions); work in the field of human resources (e.g. customer service and staff training); or pursue further studies in social work or related fields (e.g. psychology and education). You will also be eligible to apply for social work positions as a Registered Social Worker (RSW) in government and non-government organisations.
|What You Will Be Studying||
This major enables students to evaluate and align their personal values with the value base of the social work profession, and to acquire knowledge, skills, understanding and competence in reflective professional practice. Upon successful completion of this major, student should be able to:
Based on its learning objectives, this major has the following main components:
Please refer to the Departmental homepage for further details on these courses: http://www.cityu.edu.hk/ss.
Our programme looks for students who have leadership, social awareness, maturity and with volunteer service experiences. The prerequisites required for admission to Social Work major are two: all applicants have to (1) produce a personal statement; (2) attend an interview hold by the Department in the end of first year of study.
Graduates are qualified to register with the Social Workers Registration Board as Registered Social Workers (RSW). This qualification is recognised by the majority of societies throughout the world.
|Did You Know?||
Over the past 10 years:
Dr Chow Oi Wah, Esther
MSW (HKU), PhD (HKU), Hong Kong; BA (Hons.) (Concordia U), Canada; Master of Narrative Therapy & Community Work (Melbourne & Dulwich), Australia; Remotivation Therapy (HK Remotivation Therapy Association), Hong Kong; Registered Social Worker (Hong Kong)