BA Chinese and History


Year of Entry 2018
Mode of Funding Government funded
Admission Code JS1103
BA Chinese and History
Mode of Study Full time
Normal Duration of Programme 4 years
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/cah.cityu
Tuition Fee Click here for more information



Department of Chinese and History

Founded in 2014 with a view to establishing excellent tertiary education, world-class research and an international reputation in Hong Kong, the Department of Chinese and History offers the major in Chinese and History# with three streams – Chinese, Cultural Heritage and History. It aims to equip students with advanced and professional knowledge and a wide range of analytical and writing skills.

The Chinese stream strives to provide students with solid and comprehensive training in Chinese language and literature, and a good knowledge of the evolution and appreciation of the Chinese language and literature from past to present.

The Cultural Heritage stream provides the professional training necessary to nurture the high-calibre cultural professionals required to meet the growing manpower needs resulting from Hong Kong’s rapidly expanding management capacity in culture- and heritage-related industries, including cultural tourism, museum management, exhibition industries, commercial galleries, libraries and archives, community heritage programmes, publishing, entertainment and arts-related professions, cultural and creative industries.

The History stream examines the cause-and-effect relationships in human affairs and addresses the complexity of the past in shaping contemporary society. Although Chinese history is the primary focus of this stream, students may also choose to take courses related to world history and public history that provide comprehensive and in-depth historical knowledge.

Students who choose to major in Chinese and History will enjoy the significant advantages of integrating the three streams and our interdisciplinary emphasis, and may go on to pursue a wide range of careers after graduation.


Admission Arrangements for JUPAS Applicants

JUPAS applicants will be considered for admission to first-year studies at the Department of Chinese and History. Students will enter a stream (current stream options: Chinese, Cultural Heritage and History) after one year of study. The top 40% of students# will have a free choice of streams offered by the Department. The other 60% of students will be allocated a stream within the Department, subject to the availability of places and the selection criteria set by individual streams.

# based on CGPA with no failed grades and completion of at least 30 credit units including College/Department required courses


Entrance Requirements for JUPAS Applicants

To be considered for admission, you must satisfy the minimum entrance requirements.


First-Year Curriculum

During their first year of study, students will have to take a wide range of College-required courses, Gateway Education (GE) courses, and two Common Foundation Courses under the major. They could also take courses in the streams so as to have a basic understanding of each discipline.   

To find more details about the Programme Curriculum, please refer to the Programme Structure


Student Exchange/Internship

For details on Student Exchange Programme, please click here

For details on Professional Internship Programme, please click here



General Enquiries

Phone:

+(852) 3442-2054

Fax:

+(852) 3442-0508

Email:

cah@cityu.edu.hk

Address:

R6120, 6/F, Amenities Building
City University of Hong Kong
Tat Chee Avenue
Kowloon, Hong Kong SAR
Map