Exchange Student - Application Information

  •   Introduction

    CityU has exchange links with over 450 partner universities worldwide. The University welcomes applications from exchange students. Before you apply, please check with your home institution to see whether CityU is one of its exchange partners.

  •   Application Procedures and Application Periods

    Prospective exchange students are first selected by their home institutions prior to the approval of their exchange study by the relevant academic departments of CityU. Successful applicants will need to:

    • meet the minimum academic requirements of CityU and be in good academic standing with their home institution
    • achieve a TOEFL score (single test date) ≥  79 (internet-based test), IELTS overall band score ≥ 6.5, Chinese Mainland's College English Test Band 6 (total score ≥ 450) or hold an equivalent English qualification if English is not the medium of instruction at their home institutions

    (Students who wish to apply for law courses must meet School of Law's minimum CGPA requirement of 3.0 (out of 4.3), AND English requirement of TOEFL 100 (internet-based test) or IELTS 7. The TOEFL and IELTS scores should be obtained within 3 years before admission.)

    If you wish to apply for exchange study at CityU, you should:

    1. Check with your home institution to confirm whether CityU is one of its exchange partners.
    2. Consult your academic advisor/exchange coordinator concerning the suitability of the proposed programme of exchange study and the related application procedures. Participation approval is at the discretion of the student's home institution. Direct applications from students will not be considered.
    3. For institutional level exchange programmes, applications should be submitted via the online system. For college/departmental exchange programmes, applications should be sent directly to the respective academic units of CityU. Online applications may be available for some academic units. Please check the application method with the exchange coordinator of your home institution before submitting your application.

    Please note that the European Union General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Privacy Notice which may apply to you, where applicable.

    Online Application Periods

    Institutional level exchange programmes Online Application Periods
    Semester B, 2021/22 (January - May 2022) 1 September - 15 October 2021
    Summer Term 2022 (June - August 2022) 15 January - 15 February 2022
    Semester A, 2022/23 (September - December 2022) 8 April - 15 May 2022

    College/school/departmental level exchange programmes may have their own application procedures and deadlines.

    After applying

    Successful applicants will receive a letter of acceptance listing the courses approved for their exchange study at CityU.

  •   Use of Application Information

    Application information, including your ID card/passport number, will be used in the admission evaluation process. Upon your enrolment in the University, such information will become part of your student record and may be used for any purposes relating to your study in accordance with University procedures.

    In accordance with the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance, you have the right of access to and correction of the information contained in your application, as well as the right to request a copy of such data. If you wish to obtain more information, please write to the Admissions Office. You may be charged a fee for each request.

    The application data of unsuccessful applicants will be destroyed at the end of the admission exercise.

  •   Course Information and Class Schedule

    • Course codes starting with 1, 2, 3 or 4 (e.g., GE 1111, CS2114, AIS2012, MA4152) are undergraduate courses.
    • List of undergraduate courses for exchange students: 
    • Course offerings may change without prior notice.
    • Please click here for the class schedule for courses offered in the 2021/22 academic year.

  •   CityU Academic Calendar

  •   Immigration and Visa Requirements

    You will need to obtain a student visa to study at CityU unless you have the right of abode or the right to land in Hong Kong. For details, please refer to the website of the Global Engagement Office (Click on ‘Incoming Exchange Students' -> 'Visa').

    It normally takes six weeks or longer to process a student visa application. You are advised to apply well in advance to ensure that your visa is issued before the start of your exchange study.

    We will assist you in any way appropriate to facilitate your visa application. Please contact the Global Engagement Office (email: for assistance with your visa application.

    Please note that a visa/entry permit to enter the HKSAR for study may not be granted to nationals of Afghanistan, Cuba, Laos, Democratic People's Republic of Korea, Nepal and Vietnam, at the discretion of the Hong Kong Immigration Department.

    Please note that exchange students are required to take a minimum of 12 credit units of CityU courses for Semester A or B, or a minimum of 6-7 credit units for the Summer Term, and enrol as a full-time student, to meet the requirement of the Hong Kong Immigration Department for visa issuance.

  •   Enrolment

    You must enrol as a 'not-for-degree' full-time student of the University before you can attend classes. Upon completion of the required enrolment procedures, you will be issued with a student identity card. You should carry this CityU identification document with you at all times, as it allows you access to various University premises and facilities. It is an important document and should not be used by anyone else. If the card is lost, you will need to pay a fee to obtain a replacement from the Service Centre of the Academic Regulations and Records Office (ARRO).

  •   Life at CityU

    CityU provides a campus environment and a range of programmes designed to enhance students' physical and mental health. Living healthily will benefit both your efficiency in learning and your drive to explore Hong Kong. Visit the Student Development Services website to find out more.

    Global Engagement Office provides opportunities for students to immerse themselves in an ambiance rich in diversity through a variety of multicultural activities and celebrations held on campus every year. Take the opportunity to challenge yourself and become open to new experiences. For more information, please visit here

  •   Accommodation

    Exchange students are expected to prepare and arrange their own accommodation in Hong Kong. For more information regarding off-campus accommodation options, please visit:

  •   Estimated Cost of Living in Hong Kong

    CityU waives the tuition fee for exchange students, but they are required to pay all tuition and study-related fees levied by their home institutions. Exchange students are also responsible for financing their travel, accommodation and other living expenses as well as visa, insurance, books and other study-related expenses. For the estimated cost of living in Hong Kong, please visit GEO website.

  •   Health and Insurance

    There is a health centre on campus that provides primary medical care to staff and students. As an exchange student, you are eligible to use the Centre's services at a charge. However, as medical expenses can be quite high in Hong Kong, exchange students are required by CityU's policies to have medical and travel insurance coverage during their stay at the University. Please visit (Click on 'Incoming Exchange Students' -> 'Health & Insurance') for details.

  •   Orientation

    To help new students get acquainted with the CityU community as soon as possible, the Global Engagement Office (GEO) will organizes a series of induction programmes exclusively for non-local and exchange students before the semester starts. You will have an opportunity to meet both local and international students with experience of Hong Kong. Details on the Orientation Programme will be available on GEO’s Welcome website before the start of the semester.