Entrance Requirements for Government-funded Associate Degree Programmes - Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE) Students (2021 Entry)

For admission to the government-funded associate degree programmes offered by the Division of Building Science and Technology and the Department of Architecture and Civil Engineering, applicants must meet the entrance requirements listed below. The levels/grades indicated are the minimum acceptable but possession of these qualifications in no way guarantees acceptance.

Non-Chinese speaking (NCS) students can replace HKDSE Chinese Language with GCE Chinese or HKDSE Applied Learning Chinese qualifications to meet the Chinese language entrance requirement. Click here for details.


JUPAS Catalogue No. and Programme Title Minimum Level Required (see remarks)
HKDSE English Language HKDSE Chinese Language

Three Other HKDSE Subjects

Division of Building Science and Technology (options: ASc Building Services Engineering, ASc Construction Engineering and Management, ASc Surveying)
Level 2 Level 2

Level 2 in three other HKDSE subjects

(may include Attained with Distinction I or II in ApL “Environmental Engineering” or “Building Technology” as one subject)

ASc Architectural Studies
Level 2 Level 2

Level 2 in three other HKDSE subjects

(may include Attained with Distinction II in ApL Interior Design or Building Technology” as one subject)


  1. Three Other HKDSE subjects
  • Chinese Language and English Language are excluded.

  • Besides Category A elective subjects, Mathematics extended modules (M1/M2), Category C other language subjects (at grade E or above) and some Category B Applied Learning (ApL) subjects can be used to meet the requirement of  “three other HKDSE subjects”. If students take both M1 and M2, the two modules are counted as one subject only.

  • Students who plan to select Building Services Engineering OR Construction Engineering and Management of JS1091 are advised to study M1/M2 and preferably Physics, Combined Science (Physics and Biology) or Combined Science (Physics and Chemistry).

  1. Non-Chinese Speaking (NCS) Students

    Applicants who have (i) learned Chinese Language for less than 6 years while receiving primary and secondary education or (ii) learned Chinese Language for 6 years or more in schools but have been taught an adapted and simpler Chinese Language curriculum not normally applicable to the majority of students in local schools can use one of the following qualifications to replace HKDSE Chinese Language Level 2 to meet the entrance requirement.

    •    HKDSE Applied Learning Chinese “Attained” or above
    •    GCEAL/AS Chinese grade E or above
    •    GCSE/IGCSE Chinese grade C / grade 4 or above

    HKDSE other language subjects normally cannot be used to meet the Chinese language entrance requirement. Waivers may be granted only under special circumstances.


Related links:

Interview / Test Arrangements
Assessment of Applications

The entrance requirements are subject to ongoing review. The University reserves the right to amend this information from time to time.


Last update date: 23 September 2020