|Academic Year of Entry||2022/23|
|Mode of Funding||Government funded|
|Mode of Study||Full time|
|Normal Duration of Programme||3 years (for advanced standing I)|
|Tuition Fee||Click here for more information|
Dr YEUNG Wai Keung Jerf
BSW (CityU), MA (HKUST), PhD (PolyU); Registered Social Worker (Hong Kong)
This major is designed for applicants wishing to pursue a career in social work, a helping profession that promotes human and community well-being, underpinned by a commitment to uphold human dignity, social justice and social changes. The programme produces social work practitioners who are competent, reflective, and ethical in professional practice.
To be considered for admission, you must satisfy the General Entrance Requirements.
An admission interview is required for applicants to the Social Work major. Interview priority will be given to applicants who have exhibited promising performance in public examinations and/or extra-curricular activities. A reference from your school principal supporting your academic and non-academic performance and providing evidence of your personal qualities, community participation and sustained involvement in extra-curricular and co-curricular activities are desirable to support your application.
For senior-year (Advanced Standing II) admission, applicants are normally expected to have completed an Associate Degree/Higher Diploma in Social Work with a cumulative grade point average (CGPA) of ≥3.0 or an equivalent overall mark, or a credit award.
HKDSE students will apply through JUPAS (JS1110, JS1111, JS1112, JS1113).
Our programme looks for students who have leadership, social awareness, maturity and with volunteer service experiences. The prerequisites required for admission to Social Work major are two: all applicants have to (1) produce a personal statement; (2) attend an interview hold by the Department.
For details of the programme’s curriculum structure, please visit the ‘Undergraduate Catalogue’ (Note: The catalogue for the 2021 cohort is for reference only. The 2022 catalogue will be published around July 2022.)
Upon graduation, you will have the competence to practise as a professionally qualified social worker in a variety of settings through which human services are delivered (e.g. social services agencies, schools and health care institutions); work in the field of human resources (e.g. customer service and staff training); or pursue further studies in social work or related fields (e.g. psychology and education). You will also be eligible to apply for social work positions as a Registered Social Worker (RSW) in government and non-government organisations.
Graduates are qualified to register with the Social Workers Registration Board as Registered Social Workers (RSW). This qualification is recognised by the majority of societies throughout the world.
~Over the past 10 years:
• Seven colleagues at the Department have won the Teaching Excellence Award in the University on eight occasions; two Social Work colleagues also won the UGC Teaching Excellence Award in 2013 and 2014, respectively.
• Five Social Work colleagues won the CLASS’ Excellence in Knowledge Transfer Award in 2020/21, 2018/19, 2014/15 and 2013/2014, respectively.
• Two social work students won the Champion of Discovery Enriched Curriculum DEC (individual) competition held by CLASS in 2016 and 2018.
• Eleven of our Social Work graduates have won the Outstanding Social Workers Award, five of whom were winners of the New Outstanding Social Workers Award. In 2020-21, one outstanding social worker and one outstanding new social worker were our graduates. The event was organised by the Hong Kong Social Workers’ Association.
• The Department has sponsored over 300 students in cross-cultural learning programmes and internships outside Hong Kong;
• More than twenty students who studied under the exchange programme at the University of Houston have been granted scholarships to pursue a Master in Social Work.
• More than 100 students have received scholarships to study overseas under the Academic Exchange Programme.