|Academic Year of Entry||2020/21|
|Mode of Funding||Government funded|
Department of Biomedical Sciences (options: BSc Biological Sciences, BSc Biomedical Sciences)
|Mode of Study||Full time|
|Indicative Intake Target
(subject to change)
Direct Application Places (Local Students) :
17 for the Department of Biomedical Sciences
Non-Local Students Places : Please click here for details.
|Normal Duration of Programme||4 years|
|Programme Website||Click here to open|
|Programme Video||Click here to view|
|Tuition Fee||Click here for more information|
+852 3442 4707
The Department of Biomedical Sciences was established in January 2014 to develop strategic growth areas in the life sciences. It has the aim of becoming a leading centre for biomedical education and cutting-edge research on cancer, neuroscience and regenerative medicine. Besides carrying out internationally competitive research in the biomedical sciences, promotes interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary collaboration, and conducts translational research from bench to bedside, the Department provides programmes that best equip graduates for future careers in healthcare, pharmaceutical, biotech and related industries. It currently offers programmes in a stimulating teaching, learning and research environment.
The Department of Biomedical Sciences offers two undergraduate majors:
The Biological Sciences major aims to nurture students to embark on professional, educational, scientific or technical career after graduation. We provide a rigorous, broad-spectrum curriculum combined with specialization in major fields of biology such as cancer biology, nanobiotechnology, neurobiology and ecology. The programme presents an in-depth study of modern biology, with courses ranging from bioinformatics to biochemistry, genetics and cellular molecular biology. It provides a thorough understanding of how science is done with state-of-the-art equipment in laboratory for students interested in research and other science-based careers.
The Biomedical Sciences major emphasizes the integration of basic fundamental knowledge in biomedical sciences with investigative skills and state-of-the-art technologies to enable students to understand the causes, diagnoses and treatments of human disorders and disease. The programme is designed to prepare graduates for employment in biomedical research, medical device and diagnostics and biotech and pharmaceutical industries. Our unique industry-informed curriculum provides students with extensive exposure to medical laboratory technology and modern biotechnology, and applied research and clinical/industrial training opportunities through our strategic partnership with the healthcare and medical laboratory sectors and biotech and pharmaceutical industries.
Applicants to this programme (admission code: 1805) will be considered for admission to first-year studies at the Department of Biomedical Sciences. Students will enter a major (current major options: Biological Sciences; Biomedical Sciences) after one year of study. The top 40% of students# will have a free choice of majors offered by the Department. The other 60% of students will be allocated a major within the Department, subject to the availability of places and the selection criteria set by individual majors.
# based on CGPA with no failed grades and completion of at least 30 credit units including College/Department required courses
Applicants seeking advanced standing entry can submit an application for the following programme:
Click here for the qualifications eligible for advanced standing entry.
To be considered for admission, you must satisfy the General Entrance Requirements.
For details of the programme's curriculum structure, please visit the Undergraduate Catalogue (Note: The catalogue for the 2019 cohort is for reference only. The 2020 catalogue will be published around July 2020.)
Medical and Health Services
Education and Research
Management and Consultant
Clinical/Industrial Attachments and Study Trips
Our undergraduate programme is dedicated not only to disseminating knowledge to students, but also to providing opportunities and experience in the real-world environment, including practical sessions, clinical/industrial attachments and study trips. Students will be able to develop and apply their knowledge and receive insights on industry skills from experts in the field.
Resources and Facilities
The Department currently has 32 faculty members, who have won such prestigious awards as the Higher Education Outstanding Scientific Research Output Award (Science and Technology), achieved outstanding results in grant applications, and produced high quality research outputs.
All programmes and research activities are supported by a wide range of state-of-the-art equipment with cutting-edge techniques including electrophysiology and in vivo imaging, and anatomical, genetic, molecular and cellular tools to address challenges in the biomedical sciences.