|Academic Year of Entry||2022/23|
|Mode of Funding||Government funded|
BSc Data Science
|Mode of Study||Full time|
|Indicative Intake Target||
Local Places : click here (for JUPAS and non-JUPAS)
|Normal Duration of Programme||4 years|
|Programme Website||Click here to open|
|Tuition Fee||Click here for more information|
|Major Leader and Admissions Tutor||
Dr Xiang ZHOU
PhD – Princeton University, USA
|Deputy Programme Leader||
Dr Qingpeng ZHANG
BEng (HUST), MS (Arizona), PhD (Arizona)
+852 3442 7887
|JUPAS Catalogue No. and Title||
Minimum Level Required
|Eng. Lang.||Chi. Lang.||Mathematics||Liberal Studies||
BSc Data Science
|Level 3||Level 3||Level 3||Level 2||Level 3||Level 3|
- Besides Category A elective subjects, Mathematics extended modules (M1/M2) and “other languages” (at grade E or above) can also be used to meet the elective requirement. If students take both M1 and M2, they are counted as one subject only.
- Applied Learning subjects are not counted as elective subjects.
- For details of the alternative Chinese Language qualifications acceptable by the University for Non-Chinese Speaking (NCS) students, please visit http://www.admo.cityu.edu.hk/jupas/entreq/bd.
|Courses||No. of Credit Units|
|General Education||University Requirements||• GE1401 University English; and
• Discipline-specific English; and
• GE1501 Chinese Civilisation - History & Philosophy
|School Specified Requirements||School Specified GE courses for normative four-year degree:
|Distributional Requirements||At least one course from each of the three areas:
Area 1: Arts and Humanities
|9 - 12|
|School Requirement / Major Requirement||MA Linear Algebra with Applications||4|
|Major Requirement||SDSC2004 Data Visualization||3|
|Total No. of Credit Units:||34 - 37|
For details of the programme’s curriculum structure, please visit the ‘Undergraduate Catalogue’
Scholarships are available, please refer to the details at https://www.cityu.edu.hk/scholarship/.
The unique power of data science knowledge and technology is gaining unprecedented attention in the job market, as big data analytics, data mining, machine learning and artificial intelligence become more and more relevant to mainstream industries. It is no wonder that data science has been heralded by the Harvard Business Review as one of the hottest fields in the 21st century. Data scientists solve some of the hardest problems that businesses face, and their work is relevant to almost all realms of business.
CityU’s BSc Data Science is a unique programme to offer students a rigorous theoretical and methodological knowledge of data science along with in-depth analysis and evaluation for applied problems. Graduates with such solid theoretical knowledge and rich practical experience capable of working alongside domain experts are in great demand in virtually all fields, including but not limited to the following.
• Finance and Banking
• Innovative Industry
• IT and Software Companies
• Smart City
• Logistics and Transportation Systems
• Retail and Digital Marketing
• Power and Energy
• Healthcare and Medical Research
• Government and Public Organisations
• Education and Research
• Small Business, Start-ups, Multi-industry Opportunities
The School provides student exchange and internship opportunities to our students to gain international perspectives, global engagement and industry experience.
Students may choose between the overseas student exchange opportunities at world-leading institutions provided by the School or the University. Paying the tuition at CityU, students will spend a study semester abroad and may transfer the academic credits earned at the host institution to fulfil the graduation requirement.
The School also partners with premier corporates in a wide range of sectors to offer internship opportunities relevant to our majors. With these placements, students are expected to gain practical knowledge and hands-on experience in real-world applications.