|Academic Year of Entry||2020/21|
|Mode of Funding||Government funded|
Department of Linguistics and Translation (options: BA Linguistics and Language Applications, BA Translation and Interpretation)
|Mode of Study||Full time|
|Indicative Intake Target
(subject to change)
JUPAS and non-JUPAS government-funded places : 39 (local students)
|Normal Duration of Programme||4 years|
|Programme Website||Click here to open|
|Tuition Fee||Click here for more information|
|Programme Video - Short version||Programme Video - Long version|
|Linguistics in the Big Data Era
|Translating for a brighter future
The Department of Linguistics and Translation offers programmes of study at both the undergraduate and postgraduate levels designed to address the growing needs of Hong Kong and other Chinese communities for language professionals well versed in linguistics and language applications, translation and interpretation.
The Department offers TWO B.A. major programmes and two minor programmes at the undergraduate level, and M.A., MPhil. and PhD programmes at the postgraduate level, as specified below:
Two B.A. major programmes: B.A. in Linguistics and Language Applications and B.A. in Translation and Interpretation
Two B.A. minor programmes: Minor in Linguistics and Language Applications; Minor in Translation
M.A. in Language Studies with four streams - Corpus and Empirical Linguistics, Pedagogical Linguistics, General Linguistics, and Translation and Interpretation
Research degree studies toward M.Phil. and Ph.D. degrees in the core research areas of the Department
The Department encourages and promotes research in such areas as general linguistics, language technology or intelligent linguistic applications and translation and interpretation studies. According to QS World University Rankings by Subject, Linguistics at City University of Hong Kong has been ranked among the top 50 universities worldwide for 9 consecutive years (from 2011 to 2019). Research emphases in the Department include corpus and empirical linguistics, computer-assisted language learning, computational linguistics, discourse analysis, interpreting, translation (machine and human), syntax, semantics, phonetics and terminology.
The Department also maintains links with The Halliday Centre for Intelligent Applications of Language Studies (HCLS). Besides, the Department is operating three laboratories. The Language and Cognition Laboratory (LCL) is established to be one of the best equipped cognitive/neurocognitive laboratories of language studies in the region. It has all the research tools, basic as well as advanced, and state-of-the-art research facilities for carrying out cognitive/neurocognitive research in various aspects of language-related human cognitive capabilities. The Phonetics Laboratory was established in 1995. Its main research interests include phonetics and typology of the sounds of Chinese dialects, phonetic explanations for sound changes in Chinese, and phonetics in second language acquisition. It has a collection of research tools for investigation of the acoustical, articulatory, perceptual, and physiological properties of speech sounds. The Department also has a multipurpose simultaneous interpretation laboratory with the most advanced equipment and facilities designed for professional training in simultaneous and consecutive interpretation as well as for language learning.
JUPAS applicants will be considered for admission to first-year studies at the Department of Linguistics and Translation. Students will enter a major (current major options: Linguistics and Language Applications, Translation and Interpretation) after one year of study. The top 40% of students# will have a free choice of majors offered by the Department. The other 60% of students will be allocated a major within the Department, subject to the availability of places and the selection criteria set by individual majors.
# based on CGPA with no failed grades and completion of at least 30 credit units including College/Department required courses
To be considered for admission, you must satisfy the minimum entrance requirements.
During their first year, students will study a broad range of Gateway Education (GE), College foundation and specified courses, as well as Department foundation-year courses in linguistics and translation.
Student/Alumni sharing is available at http://www4.lt.cityu.edu.hk/alumni/