|Academic Year of Entry||2023/24|
|Mode of Funding||Government funded|
BSocSc Social Work
|Mode of Study||Full time|
|Indicative Intake Target||
Local Places : click here (for JUPAS and non-JUPAS)
|Normal Duration of Programme||4 years|
|Tuition Fee||Click here for more information|
Dr Jerf Yeung
This major is designed for applicants wishing to pursue a career in social work, a helping profession that promotes human and community well-being, underpinned by a commitment to uphold human dignity, social justice and social changes. The programme produces social work practitioners who are competent, reflective, and ethical in professional practice
To be considered for admission, you must satisfy the minimum entrance requirements.
An admission interview is required for applicants to the Social Work major. Interview priority will be given to applicants who put our programme as their Band A choice and have exhibited promising performance in public examinations, extra-curricular activities, and/or community participation.
During their first year, students will study a broad range of Gateway Education (GE), College core and Departmental requirement courses.
For details of the programme’s curriculum structure, please visit the ‘Undergraduate Catalogue’ (Note: The catalogue for the 2022 cohort is for reference only. The 2023 catalogue will be published around July 2023.)
Upon graduation, you will have the competence to practise as a professionally qualified social worker in a variety of settings through which human services are delivered (e.g. social services agencies, schools and health care institutions); work in the field of human resources (e.g. customer service and staff training); or pursue further studies in social work or related fields (e.g. psychology and education). You will also be eligible to apply for social work positions as a Registered Social Worker (RSW) in government and non-government organisations.
Graduates are qualified to register with the Social Workers Registration Board as Registered Social Workers (RSW). The qualification is recognised by the majority of societies throughout the world.
Over the past 10 years:
• Seven colleagues at the Department have won the Teaching Excellence Award in the University on eight occasions; two Social Work colleagues also won the UGC Teaching Excellence Award in 2013 and 2014, respectively.
• Five Social Work colleagues won the CLASS’ Excellence in Knowledge Transfer Award in 2020/21, 2018/19, 2014/15 and 2013/2014, respectively.
• Two social work students won the Champion of Discovery Enriched Curriculum DEC (individual) competition held by CLASS in 2016 and 2018.
• Eleven of our Social Work graduates have won the Outstanding Social Workers Award, five of whom were winners of the New Outstanding Social Workers Award. In 2020-21, one outstanding social worker and one outstanding new social worker were our graduates. The event was organised by the Hong Kong Social Workers’ Association.
• The Department has sponsored over 300 students in cross-cultural learning programmes and internships outside Hong Kong;
• More than twenty students who studied under the exchange programme at the University of Houston have been granted scholarships to pursue a Master in Social Work.
• More than 100 students have received scholarships to study overseas under the Academic Exchange Programme.