|Academic Year of Entry||2023/24|
|Mode of Funding||Government funded|
Department of Biomedical Sciences (options: BSc Biological Sciences, BSc Biomedical Sciences)
|Mode of Study||Full time|
|Indicative Intake Target||
Local Places : click here (for JUPAS and non-JUPAS)
|Normal Duration of Programme||4 years|
|Programme Website||Click here to open|
|Programme Video||Click here to view|
|Tuition Fee||Click here for more information|
The Department of Biomedical Sciences was established in January 2014 to develop strategic growth areas in the life sciences. It has the aim of becoming a leading centre for biomedical education and cutting-edge research on life and biomedical science. The Department provides programmes that best equip graduates for future careers in healthcare, pharmaceutical, biotech and related industries. It currently offers two undergraduate majors, MSc in Health Sciences and Management, and MPhil and PhD research degree programmes in a stimulating teaching, learning and research environment.
The Department of Biomedical Sciences offers two undergraduate majors:
The Biological Sciences major aims to nurture students to embark on scientific research, educational, professional or technical career after graduation. We provide a rigorous, broad-spectrum curriculum combined with specialization in major fields of biology such as cancer biology, nanobiotechnology, regenerative medicine, microbiology and neurobiology. The programme presents an in-depth study of biomedical and life sciences, with courses ranging from bioinformatics to biochemistry, genetics, cellular & molecular biology and immunology. With the two tailor-made practical courses as well as opportunities in research rotations and projects, students will gain a thorough understanding of how science is done with advanced technologies including omics & genome editing and state-of-the-art equipment in our research laboratories. It also nurtures students who are interested in pursuing postgraduate research training and undertaking a broad range of science-based careers.
The Biomedical Sciences major emphasizes the integration of basic fundamental knowledge in biomedical sciences with investigative skills and state-of-the-art technologies to enable students to understand the causes and diagnoses and treatments of human disorders and diseases. The programme is designed to prepare graduates for employment in medical & diagnostic laboratories, medical device & biotech/pharmaceutical industries and research. Our unique industry-informed curriculum provides students with extensive exposure to medical laboratory technology (MLT), modern biotechnology, and medical lab/industrial training opportunities through our strategic partnership with the healthcare and medical laboratory sectors as well as biotech & pharmaceutical industries.
To be considered for admission, you must satisfy the minimum entrance requirements.
For details about the curriculum structure of the programme, please visit the Undergraduate Catalogue. (Note: The catalogue for the 2022 cohort is for reference only. The 2023 catalogue will be published around July 2023.)
JUPAS applicants will be considered for admission to first-year studies at the Department of Biomedical Sciences. Students will enter a major (current major options: Biological Sciences; Biomedical Sciences) after one year of study (Semester A & Semester B of the first year study). The top 40% of students# will have a free choice of majors offered by the Department. The other 60% of students will be allocated a major within the Department, subject to the availiability of places and the selection criteria set by individual majors. # based on the CGPA with no failed grades and completion of at least 30 credit units including College/Department required courses
Clinical/Industrial Attachments and Study Trips
Our undergraduate programme is dedicated not only to disseminating knowledge to students, but also to providing opportunities and experience in the real-world environment, including practical sessions, clinical/industrial attachments, internship scheme, student exchange programmes and study trips. Students will be able to develop and apply their knowledge and receive insights on industry skills from experts in the field.
Medical and Health Services
Education and Research
Management and Consultant
Resources and Facilities
The Department currently has 26 faculty members, who have won such prestigious awards as the Higher Education Outstanding Scientific Research Output Award (Science and Technology), achieved outstanding results in grant applications, and produced high quality research outputs.
All programmes and research activities are supported by a wide range of state-of-the-art equipment with cutting-edge techniques including electrophysiology and in vivo imaging, and anatomical, genetic, molecular and cellular tools to address challenges in the biomedical sciences.